Friday April 22nd, marks the 42nd year for Earth Day celebrations. To commemorate, we wanted to let you know what we are doing at our eye care office to be green and earth friendly!
– We are proud participants in the inaugural Charleston Green Business Challenge. The Challenge is open to local businesses, large and small, and provides them with resources and events to help them further their green initiatives.
– We operate a paperless office with electronic medical records. We are proud to say that we have only gone through 13 reams of paper (all of which is 100% recycled) during the 19 months we have been open. Most of that printing occurs for patient forms and we are currently looking into alternatives to help reduce our paper usage even further.
– We use a local lab to process our eyewear jobs. This reduces the amount of shipping we have to do which saves on shipping supplies as well as reduces the distance travelled by our eyewear. Doing this also supports another local business which is always better for the local economy.
– We recycle. Every piece of paper that gets used or comes into our office gets recycled. We also have recycle bins available in our waiting area for our patients to use. We have also just instituted a new contact lens packaging recycling program – anyone who brings in their empty contact lens blister packs will receive 10% off their next contact lens purchase.
– We buy recycled. Most of our paper products are made from 100% recycled material – printing paper, coffee cups, paper towels, customer bags, and tissues.
These are just a few of the ways we operate in an environmentally friendly manner. For a complete list, please visit our green initiative page.
As always, we are constantly looking for ways to improve upon our green ways. If you have a suggestion, please do not hesitate to let us know!